Sunday, March 15, 2009

dirty librarian

Last night I went to get my hair done. After a couple of months of box dye "no-no's" I knew I had to seek the help of a professional. So I made an appointment and asked them to "lighten me up" for summer. I will give you the short version of their long, careful explanation..."if you put these highlights in your hair, it is going to break off and you will be very mad." Ooook, route 2. Darker, much darker. Every since my crazy platinum blonde phase last summer (see post with cabo pictures) my hair has just not recovered. I mean, gosh I cannot imagine why...2 bleach and tone jobs with 3 different foil sets and seven hours of chemical treatment in one day. Oh well, I learned my lesson. So, anyhow, I am now sporting a deep brunette with a prominent red tone throughout and caramel highlights. It is the closest I have come to my natural color since the platinum craze. I like it...for now :)

On another note, while I was at the salon the girl shampooing my hair told me the most hilarious story. She says that every week, once a week, the local librarian comes in to get her hair washed. Apparently this is not some sort of spoiled indulgence as I would have assumed. I mean I am not at the local barber shop in the sticks or anything. I am at Visible Changes in The Woodlands, TX people! So anyhow, she continues...here's her story...

"...So every week she comes in once to have her hair washed and I am certain that this is the ONLY time that she has her hair washed - EVER. And every time she comes in it is like stuck to her head dirty and greasy (this story is not for the weak stomach) untouched from the last wash I gave her. I guess I lucked into it because I am the one that gave her the wash the first time she came in. So, now everyone just clears the room when she arrives and I am the lucky winner time and time again. I try to be nice and professional and I greet her by name and ask her how she is doing, how is the library and work going etc. It never fails...every time she looks at me like I have alien powers or I am some sort of sick stalker because I know her name and where she works. It's like ten second tom from Fifty First Dates...every time she comes in we are meeting for the first time in her head. It is so awkward!"

Ok so by this time I am cracking up, just putting myself in her shoes...she continues...

"...We get to the shampoo bowl and I am de-caking (gross) her hair with the warm water and she tells me to be sure I use the peppermint shampoo (which I admit, I love too, it smells amazing). So I get a few pumps and start working a good lather. I am scrubbing away (this could take a while) and she says to me, as if its nothing, "don't worry, go ahead and get it on my face." What?? I am confused. I continue scrubbing, being careful and unsure of what she said, but trying not to splash her face, surely that is what she meant. No...again she mutters..."Go ahead and get put a little on my face?" What?! So I work my fingers a little past her forehead hair line. I am really trying to make sense of this when she throws her neck back and now has her face in my shampoo bowl. The spout in my hand is dead on the center of her face and she is telling me "wow, that just feels so good, go ahead and keep washing." WTH, does she want me to srub her face. Confused I ask her if she would sit forward in the chair a little so that I may finish rinsing her hair. She glides slightly forward, not much, and continues to throw her head in a backward motion and shake her face back and forth, mouth open, under my water spout. I do the best I can to get the remainder of the shampoo out of her hair as I realize I am not shampooing this woman, I am giving her a bath. She drips in my shampoo chair. I turn off the water and she continues to tell me that the whole thing just feels so good. I tell her that this is not what the shampoo bowl is really intended for and offer her a damp towel instead. She accepts. I walk away...until next week..."

People, I cannot due this story due diligence in times new roman font. I so wish you could have heard her tell it...Anyhow, here is my new "do"

1 comment:

Lindsey Klinger said...

I love your hair! You are so pretty, Jill :)