Saturday, June 26, 2010

Progress in Week 36

Sweet little PeA is making some great progress. I went in for check #2 on Wednesday – at which point I was 36.5 weeks. I had a 10% increase in effacement, putting me at 80%! And although I had not been feeling contractions, I was definitely having them. LOTS of them in fact…enough to dilate me to 3cm! WOOHOO! I was at a station +1 so baby is fully engaged and has dropped quite a bit. And allow me to withdraw a statement I made a couple of posts back after my 1st check…IT DOES hurt. OuCh! I asked my doctor why it didn’t seem to hurt at all the first time but it was quite painful this time and she said it is because my cervix is slightly posterior…in other words, behind the baby’s head. Fuuun…

She also showed me PeA on the screen. A treat I did not expect…Bummer….she is sitting posterior with her back against mine. For any mom who has labored you likely know what this means…BACK LABOR! I have been doing pelvic tilts this week and trusting she will turn. Many “Sunny Side Up” babies turn even during labor as they “corkscrew” into the birth canal, so she certainly still has time. As I approach my big day with plans of no interventions, I truly hope and pray she does turn – b/c back labor is the most painful there is. I appreciate your prayers with me on this. God has come through for us in so many AMAZING ways already during this pregnancy, I have faith He will again!

Funny thing is, before this check I had some significant lower back pain – which was apparently my contractions (and the result of her posterior position) but nothing in my abdomen resembling contractions – not to me at least…BUT ever since she checked me I am singing a different tune! I have constant cramps and plenty of abdominal pain to boot! My back is still aching, but I figure that is just going to go with the territory from now until delivery. I really don’t mind the contractions at this point. They are not debilitating and with each one I know I am progressing and moving closer to meeting my angel!

I have another appointment on Tuesday so we will see where these contractions have gotten me…IF I make it that long. Which Aunt Amber is hoping I do…she is in Mexico on vacation right now and has begged me to hold baby girl in until her return on Wednesday, June 30th :)  We shall see…I figure she’s going to come when she’s ready! And I really just cannot wait.

Daddy Abby is pretty excited too. I have to say that the other night we had a little “scare” and thought that it might be “go time.” There are really no words to describe his reaction….HYSTERICAL might be a good "summary.” In an attempt to calm him down I said “just go to sleep…I am not having this baby tonight honey.” (of course I had no guarantees – but it seemed like the thing to say). To which he replies…”Really? Are you sure? Cause that’d be great – I am straight trippin’ over here.” To this remark I laughed so hard I think I peed in my pants (which does not take much at this point, I might add) and seriously sent myself back into contractions…Oh my, these are the moments I will never forget. Going blindly into this wild ride with my hilarious best friend. I love you babe!

Baby girl…hurry up! We are just dying to meet you, and I promise we are worth few good laughs! xoxo – your (clueless but eager) mommy and daddy!

37 Weeks – The BUMP…errr…Mountain~

37 Weeks (3)

3 comments:

Our Green Nest said...

Glad you (and "pea") are doing so well! Just remember though, that women can remain many centimeters dilated for WEEKS before true labor begins. Also, constant/weekly checks can start premature labor which isn't something you want when you're going to have a natural birth. It can quickly downward spiral much easier than letting things happen on their own. I'm telling you this because you have made your natural birth intention known.

This is also why midwifes will typically not do "checks" unless the woman is past 40 weeks. Not only can they cause premature labor or infection, but it can also get the woman (couple, family, etc.) very emotional and cause mental troubles...just WAITING and thinking that it's going to happen ANY day...and when it doesn't and it continues for maybe 1-3 weeks, she constantly gets more and more impatient and worried (as do most doctors)...until she decides to intervene and so the very downward spiral of the typical hopsital birth begins. So if you're going to continue these checks, which I wouldn't recommend, then you just need to be super super patient and not get antsy. The baby will come when they are ready...even if it's at 41-42 weeks! Trust your body and trust God. Just go on with your everyday life thinking it's not going to happen anytime soon...that's my best advice! God bless!

The Cates Fam said...

Looking great, girl!! With Addison, I was 100% and 4cm for 3 weeks...totally thought she was just going to fall out while I was walking! ha. But, it certainly makes labor a lot quicker!!

Anonymous said...

Momma Jill....it's Jen Peltier, I couldn't figure out how to get this to post using anything but my AIM name....everytime I read your blog, I feel like I am lost in left field with no clue of what is coming!! haha you know all this info that I have never heard of!! It's probably a good thing that I always read your blog because I learn so much! :) You look fantastic, of course, and I know you are SO excited to be getting so close to meeting your little gift from Jesus!! Take care of yourself and try to be patient, I can imagine how hard it is at the stage you're at! xoxoxo